SLSA National Leadership College
Surf Life Saving Australia's National Leadership College (NLC) is an annual leadership and development program recognising young leaders in Surf Life Saving aged between 20 and 30 years. Participants come from a variety of clubs, roles and SLS backgrounds.
The Surf Life Saving Australia National Leadership College is a pillar of the Buddy Lucas Leadership Program, generously funded by Denis Black.
The NLC provides an exciting opportunity for young people within the movement to further develop their leadership skills and continue to positively contribute to the success of SLS. As well as learning new skills and creating opportunities for personal growth, the College will open up new networks with other likeminded passionate members across Australia, who also are committed to making a difference within the movement. The NLC is designed to challenge participants intellectually, socially, emotionally and physically. The skills gained are designed to be taken back to clubs and into other areas of the participant's daily environment.
Each day includes keynote speakers, elective sessions, activities and challenges relating to the leadership theme of the day. Each participant will be encouraged to access a mentor and have ongoing opportunities for review and further development.
Participants also benefit from exposure to the international movement. Networking with members from clubs internationally is a highlight for participants as they share ideas and create new friendships and networks. Participants have the opportunity to see the big picture for SLS as they gain exposure to national goals and aspirations. Through the sharing of ideas, resources and future directions, NLC provides an opportunity to create an effective national movement.
When and where?
Where: YMCA Sydney Olympic Park Lodge, Silverwater, NSW
When: February 2020
Who can apply?
Participants must meet the following requirements:
- Ba a minimum of 20 years of age and a maximum of 30 years of age on 1 February 2019
- Be a refreshed and current member of a SLSNR club
- Demonstrate previous leadership training/experience, preferably from within the SLS environment
- Demonstrate the potential as a future leader within SLS, with a desire to influence the movements future direction
The NLC has a maximum of 26 participants from across Australia and SLSNR has been allocated one place. Therefore, there will be a rigorous screening process from applications, with one position available for a Northern Region representative, who will be our 'Buddy Lucas Scholar'
What will participants get out of it?
- Exposure to SLS at an International level
- Hear from SLSA leaders
- Opportunities to network with other like-minded members from around Australia
- Growth in self-confidence and the self-power to make things happen
- Enabling participants to gain a perception of your own personal leadership qualities and competencies
- Share opinions and workshop current issues
- Be inspired by industry professional guest speakers
- Become part of the Leadership Alumni
What type of applicant are we looking for?
- Courageous and innovative thinkers
- Enthusiastic with a strong capacity to learn
- Individuals committed to SLS for the longer term
- Emerging influencers in your club
- Team orientated
- Highly motivated and self-aware
Congratulations to the 2018/19 Buddy Lucas Scholar Guy Hornblow of Kariaotahi